Liberty has a longstanding tradition of pride and excellence in marching and is regarded as one of the finest competitive units in Maryland, modeling marching style, technique, and the latest music trends after leading drum corps units nationwide. Liberty has been an active member of Tournament of Bands (TOB) since 1983, winning 23 Chapter Championship flags with specialty awards for best music, visual, brass, woodwinds, marching, percussion, color guard and drum major.
The 2018 band captured the program’s first-ever ACC Championship with a tournament-record score of 98.00. Here’s a video of that historic day by Kit + Kaboodle Productions:
Below is a video of the marching band’s full 2018 show, Beneath the Surface, performed during the 2018 Chapter V Championship, where the band also took 1st place with a score of 96.40.
The Lion’s Pride Marching Band began competing in 1983. Assembled here is information about competition classifications along with Liberty’s performance history for the Tournament of Bands competition circuit.
Lion’s Pride Marching Band ToB Performance Summary:
- Competition Years: 35
- ACC Qualifications: 35
- Chapter Championships: 23
- ACC Top 10’s: 23
- ACC Podiums (Top 3): 8
- ACC Championships: 1
|Year||Class||Chapter||Chapter Score||Place||ACC Score||Place||Notes|
|2018||3||5||96.40||1||98.00||1||Best Music, Best Visual, Best Drum Major|
|2017||3||5||94.55||2||96.00||3||Best Woodwinds, Best Drum Major|
|2016||3||5||93.90||1||97.50||3||Best Visual, Best Brass|
|2014||3||5||93.45||1||93.85||6||Best Drum Major|
|2003||1A||5||85.85||3||87.20||2||A CLASS; Best Woodwinds|
|2001||3||13||93.15||1||93.60||8||MD State Champion|
|1999||3||13||94.74||1||96.90||3||Best Music & Brass, MD State Champion|
|1998||3||13||95.15||2||95.15||6||Best Percussion & Drum Major|
|1997||3||13||94.15||1||94.45||3||Best Woodwinds, MD State Champion|
|1994||3||13||94.55||1||94.15||4||MD State Champion|
|1993||3||13||93.40||1||95.29||3||MD State Champion|
|1992||3||13||92.15||1||91.95||8||MD State Champion|
|1991||3||13||93.65||1||94.75||6||Best Woodwinds, MD State Champion|
|1990||2||13||88.45||1||91.10||6||MD State Champion|
|1987||1||6||72.35||1||–||–||MD State Champion|
Classification: Group Size
- Group 1 – up to 30 musicians and a maximum of 30 auxiliary
- Group 2 – 31 to 50 musicians and a maximum of 50 auxiliary
- Group 3 – 51 to 75 musicians and a maximum of 75 auxiliary
- Group 4 – 76 or greater
Classification: Performance Level
- OPEN CLASS: This level is what has been offered in the past – bands will compete throughout the season for TOB scoring and conclude their season with the annual Chapter Championship and qualification for the annual Atlantic Coast Championship
- A CLASS: This level is for the less experienced bands – bands will compete throughout the season, with emphasis on education and development, but still follow the TOB scoring. Student education, development, and staff training will be emphasized throughout the season.
- FESTIVAL CLASS: This level will introduce bands to TOB – bands will compete, but at more of an exhibition level with awards based on a rating program without the announcement of a numeric score or place. Student education, development, and staff training will be emphasized throughout the season. This season concludes with the annual Chapter Championship, still following the rating system.